To leave this site quickly, click the Quick Exit button below. Learn about Quick Exit button here. If you don’t want your browser history saved, please open incognito browsing mode. Learn about incognito mode here. If you're in immediate danger, please call 000 

Options for support

Financial Abuse: If you suspect it, what should you do?

Financial Abuse Support Toolkit - Video 3

Where do I start?

It can be difficult to know how to make the first step when you have been impacted by financial abuse. Depending on your situation, the steps may be different. It is important to know there are organisations and programs that can support you.

Here are some things to consider when reaching out for support:

  • Be in a safe space
  • Call 1800RESPECT for information, referrals and counselling
  • If you don’t know what to say to the counsellors, start by telling them about your situation and asking “is this normal” or “is this abuse?” (For most of our callers, this is the first time they’ve spoken about it, it may take time for you to find the right words.)
  • Work with support networks for safety planning and financial planning. See the cards below for more information or search our service directory for services in your area
  • Stay in touch with your support and counselling networks.

Who can provide support?

There are a number of organisations and programs that can assist people impacted by financial abuse.

Types of support available include:

  • Financial support
  • Housing assistance
  • Debt assistance
  • Legal support
  • Domestic violence crisis services
  • Financial management
  • Employment services
  • Counselling services.

You can access support to recover from financial abuse at any stage of your journey.

1800RESPECT is the national domestic, family and sexual violence counselling, information and support service. We offer information, counselling and referrals to anyone impacted by financial abuse. You can access this service even if you are unsure what you are experiencing is abuse: call 1800 737 732, text 0458 737 732, online chat or video call. 

You can also get free confidential advice from a financial counsellor by calling the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 between 9.30am and 4.30pm. You can also find a financial counsellor in your area on our website.

What a financial counsellor does

Financial counsellors work with people in financial hardship, and provide advice on:

  • Mortgage or rent payments
  • Credit cards and personal loans
  • Utility bills including phone and internet
  • Joint debts and priority debts
  • Centrelink issues
  • Negotiating with creditors
  • Generally sorting out your finances.

The National Debt Helpline website provides step by step guides on how to face all common financial problems.

What does the first step look like?
Who can help me regain control of my money?
Who can help me with the impacts of financial abuse?
Can I get financial assistance?
How do I start the conversation?
Can I ask my bank for assistance?
I do not have access to a mobile phone or other technology to communicate.
Is there a checklist I can use to make sure I am getting the support I need?
How can I support someone who is experiencing financial abuse?

Websites to visit

Your bank: 

For support networks

Supporting someone who has experienced domestic and family violence can be difficult. Friends and family who are supporting someone who has been experiencing financial abuse are also able to reach out for support.

If you are supporting someone who has experienced financial abuse, you can call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732, text 0458 737 732 or visit our website for online chat and video call services.

You can also support by raising awareness and sharing information on financial abuse. 1800RESPECT has resources available to promote the Financial Abuse Support Toolkit.