- It is important to us that the 1800RESPECT service and website can be accessed by anyone living in Australia
- We can be contacted through the National Relay Service and the Translating and Interpreting Service
- We have incorporated web tools for people with disability.
Using the service
1800RESPECT is an information and counselling service for everyone. The website has been made so that it is easy to use by people with disability. If you are blind or vision impaired, the text can be read using a screen reader.
The site also contains information on sexual assault, domestic and family violence in 28 different languages. On this page you will find further information on how you can access other parts of our service if you have a disability or speak a language other than English.
What web tools are available for people with disability?
There are many tools to help people with disability on the internet.
Centre for Inclusive Design, previously Media Access Australia, have kept content on their website that has information on accessible browsers and how to find accessible online content.
The BBC Accessibility page has information on how to make a website more accessible by changing browser, computer, keyboard and mouse settings. It covers Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems.
I find it difficult to hear or speak, can I access your service?
Yes. You can contact us through the National Relay Service (NRS) in two easy steps:
- Contact the NRS. Call numbers and access points are on the NRS website.
- Give the 1800RESPECT telephone number 1800 737 732.
I need an interpreter or translator, can I access your service?
Yes. You can use the telephone Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) to speak to someone at 1800RESPECT. TIS National is available free of charge.
To arrange an interpreter:
- Call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 and ask for an interpreter. The counsellor will make the arrangements, or
- Call TIS on 131 450 and ask them to contact 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732.
You can visit the TIS website for more information.
This Auslan video explains what sexual assault and domestic violence is, how 1800RESPECT can provide support, and how to use our website and the Sunny app.
This Auslan video explains how you can contact us, including by phone, online and through the National Relay Service. It also includes information on how to contact us via Sunny and the TIS National.